- NEW Exercise and Health course by Peoples-uni, pulls together a set of presentations developed by an International team of experts
- The program contains data from different countries and it is designed to encourage students to perform interventions to increase physical activity in their setting
Peoples-uni, the UK-based charity focused on providing affordable education in Public Health, has debuted its new short online course, Exercise and Health. http://ooc.peoples-uni.org/course/view.php?id=22. The course is based on a set of world class presentations prepared by an international team of experts in exercise and health, led by Ann Gates, CEO of Exercise Works and a member of the World Heart Federation Emerging Leaders Programme. This organization is dedicated to leading the global fight against cardiovascular disease (CVD), including heart disease and stroke and other non-communicable diseases (NCDs) with physical activity and exercise.
The course consists of an inter-disciplinary educational resource designed with the goal of helping global healthcare professionals and community health advocates to understand four important points:
- The size of the problem of physical inactivity in populations globally
- The role of physical inactivity in non-communicable diseases
- The benefits of exercise in treatments and prevention
- To encourage students and those who access the course to perform and evaluate interventions to increase physical activity in their patients at local and/or national settings.
The course contains presentations and resources which have been made available to all undergraduate medical and health schools to use, and they have been endorsed by the United Kingdom Council of Deans of Health. Data from different recognized sources such as Global Observatory for Physical Activity and the World Health Organization are also included. At the end of the course, students can earn a certificate.
How to access the course and about People’s-uni OOC courses
The program is part of People’s-uni short Online Open Courses (OOC), a range of short courses designed for self-study, available for free in an open access site, which also offers the possibility for to earn a certificate. The OOC initiative by Peoples-uni is a simple, quick, an affordable way for health professionals, or anyone interested in, in getting more specialization in certain public health related topics, or going deep into certain areas of general interest. To find more information http://ooc.peoples-uni.org/
Peoples-uni is a UK-based charity dedicated to offer affordable education in Public Health. Its main mission is to contribute to improvements in the health of populations in low- to middle-income countries by building Public Health capacity via e-learning at very low cost. To do that, Peoples-uni initiative offers master-level educative programs and short Open Online Courses (OOC). Individual course module development and delivery teams have involved more than 250 volunteers from more than 40 different countries
For more information visit http://www.peoples-uni.org/