The professionalism of the nursing workforce is crucial in the provision of safe and effective patient care.
The new guide describes how important supportive environments for nurses and midwives are when supporting professional practice, encouraging positive behaviours and instilling confidence in the profession to raise concerns that could compromise safety, quality and experience.
Environments that support and encourage professional practice should:
- Recognise and encourage nursing and midwifery leadership
- Encourage autonomous and innovative nursing and midwifery practice
- Enable inter professional collaboration
- Enable practice learning and development
- Provide appropriate resources